Healthy Eating with Vegetables and Fruit
Fresh produce is usually cheaper in season.
This mini-lesson is designed to encourage participants to eat more vegetables and fruit. Participants will discover what makes vegetables and fruit so important for good health.
A hands-on activity will allow participants to explore practical ways to achieve Canada's Food Guide recommendation of 7 to 10 servings of vegetables and fruit per day.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Indicate the number of Food Guide Servings of vegetables and fruit recommended each day by Canada's Food Guide.
- Discuss the health benefits of eating plenty of vegetables and fruit.
- Discuss the health benefits of dark green and orange vegetables and provide examples.
- Discuss the advantages of choosing vegetables and fruit more often than juice.
- Suggest ways to emphasize vegetables and fruit at meals and snacks.
The "Change Your Vegetable and Fruit Proportions" and "Search for the Stars!" activities provide opportunities for participants to practice the skills listed above.