Healthy Eating with More Fibre
This mini-lesson focuses on dietary fibre. Discussions will help participants gain a better understanding of the different types of fibre and the importance of dietary fibre to health.
Using a practical meal-planning exercise, participants will learn the best sources of fibre and how to choose a diet that is high in fibre.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Identify the main sources of dietary fibre.
- Distinguish between soluble and insoluble fibre.
- Discuss the health benefits of a diet high in fibre.
- Read food labels to determine the amount of fibre in packaged foods.
- Distinguish between isolated fibres added to processed foods and intact fibre that is naturally present foods.
- Suggest ways to increase fibre at meals and snacks.
The "Healthy Eating with More Fibre" meal-planning activity will help participants discover ways to plan meals that are higher in fibre.