The Healthy Eating ManualGetting Started
About the Lessons
Although there are many aspects to healthy eating, these mini lessons focus on topics important for 2011 and beyond:
- Introduction to Healthy Eating (based on Canada's Food Guide)
- Healthy Eating the Lower Sodium Way
- Healthy Eating with Whole Grains
- Healthy Eating with Fats on the Menu
- Healthy Eating with More Fibre
- Healthy Eating with Vegetables and Fruit
- Healthy Eating OUT
- Healthy Eating: Choose Less Sugar
Each topic area is supported by:
- A complete mini-lesson on the topic: Each mini-lesson takes 30-45 minutes and focuses on 1 or 2 KEY concepts using quizzes and other interactive learning activities. The lessons are very structured so that you can lead participants through the lesson even if you don't have a background in nutrition. Each lesson is designed as a complete unit however, since all the lessons are based on Healthy Eating, it makes most sense to start with Mini Lesson 1: Introduction to Healthy Eating and then proceed with the other lessons in whatever order you like.
- Background information and resources for each mini lesson: Each mini lesson includes a leader's discussion guide. Mini-Lessons 2-8 include a PowerPoint presentation to support the discussion
- Recommended Handouts: A key part of the mini-lesson plan are materials on the topic area that participants can take home. Recommended handouts are included with each mini-lesson (as easy-to-print downloads or easy-to-order handouts).